FREELANCE WRITER AND EDITOR/Various
(July 2008 – Present)
- I have written news articles, music reviews and artist features for a variety of publications.
- My work has appeared in more than a dozen print and online publications (M Music & Musicians, Health2You, American Cheerleader, American Songwriter, Brite Revolution, Road King, PopMatters.com, TVFodder.com, Roughstock.com, CountryUniverse.com, et al.)
- My interview subjects include 13 Grammy Award winners, as well as Tony and Emmy Award recipient Kristin Chenoweth.
- My reviews of live concerts at Ryman Auditorium and other Nashville music venues have been published on numerous blogs.
- As a per-project content management associate, I have created, formatted, updated and proofed content for multiple clients.
- As a country-music journalist, my contributions have been included in the Nashville Scene Country Music Critics’ Poll (2009-2012), which recognizes the genre’s best artists and recordings.
- On occasion, my responsibilities entailed the management of social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- I covered the 2011 and 2012 editions of Americana Music Festival with interviews, panel coverage, and awards show reviews.
- I also co-wrote the 2012 Southern Idaho Vacation & Recreation Guide, which featured 32 pages of things to do, places to stay, and food to enjoy within the region.
MANAGING EDITOR & CREATIVE DIRECTOR/Out & About Newspaper
(September 2009 – February 2012; Contributing Writer: January 2010 - July 2010; Sales Assistant: September 2009 - January 2010)
- Provided in-depth local news coverage along with political, business, feature, sports and entertainment stories.
- Wrote and edited content for the newspaper and its companion website.
- Delivered weekly multimedia newsletter which featured news stories, video interviews, and event calendars.
- Managed a freelance staff of more than 25 writers, designers and photographers.
- Coordinated design, layout and production for our monthly print publication.
- Established Facebook fan page which accumulated 5,000 readers in a three-month period.
- Expanded Twitter follower base by nearly 300%.
- Spurred a 20% increase in unique visitors and page views on our website.
CONTRIBUTING WRITER/The9513.com & Engine145.com
(November 2009 – Present)
- Contributed weekly album and biweekly single reviews related to various musical genres including country, bluegrass and Americana.
- Interviewed select artists and songwriters in advance of touring dates and album releases for full-length feature stories and Q&As.
- Formatted multimedia blog posts and contributed to live blog coverage of special events.
SPECIAL EVENTS TICKETING REPRESENTATIVE/Bridgestone Arena
(November 2008 – September 2012)
- Assisted in all single-day and weekend package sales related to the annual CMA Music Festival, which hosted more than 70,000 patrons each year.
- Acted as a guest relations monitor during various sports/entertainment events presented in the venue.
- Produced internal sales reports and external customer correspondence regarding account maintenance, and created orders in Ticketmaster or Archtics Ticketing System to complete requests.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE/Turner Publishing
(September 2008 – April 2009)
- Presented new book titles to more than 1,000 professional book buyers and specialty store owners.
- Prospected for potential new customers within a 15-state territory by conducting market research studies.
- Worked directly with top executives to deliver profitable author events and in-store signings.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE/The Tennessean
(May 2007 – September 2008)
- Formed strategic advertising plans for more than 500 realtors in the Middle Tennessee area.
- Prepared proposals and negotiated contracts with clients to close sales on a variety of media solutions both in print and online.
- Edited advertising copy and design to complete client orders with assistance of creative staff.
MARKETING & SALES INTERN/Country Music Hall Of Fame and Museum
(May 2006 – January 2007)
- Researched country music history to develop written and oral sponsorship presentations.
- Created and compiled 1,000 research surveys regarding three major museum exhibits.
- Presented marketing research focused on museum development and program design in staff meetings.
MARKETING & SALES INTERN/Ohio Valley Conference
(May 2006 – January 2007)
- Compiled media clips from previous seasons for use in internal reports and presentations.
- Participated in corporate sponsorship strategy sessions and donor meetings with administrative leadership.
- Developed and maintained a roster of current and prospective donors for our organization.
May 2006-August 2007: Middle Tennessee State University/Murfreesboro, TN
- M.S., Mass Communication: Emphasis in Public Relations (Major GPA: 3.89)
- Activities: MTSU Sidelines Newspaper Staff Writer, Mass Communications Department Graduate Assistant, et al.
August 2003-May 2006: Eastern Illinois University/Charleston, IL
- B.A., Communication Studies Major, Business Administration Minor (Major GPA: 4.0)
- Activities: The Daily Eastern News Staff Writer, Phi Beta Lambda Communications Honorary Member, National Residence Hall Honorary Board Member, et al.